Fried rice makes for the perfect meal any night! It requires minimal prep, a few simple fresh ingredients and just the right amount of seasoning. SugarRoti Tofu Nu Spice brings an Indian-inspired flavor profile to this Chinese classic - transforming typically bland tofu into savory bites when combined with soy sauce and layered with the aromatics of Asafoetida, Black Mustard Seeds, Cayenne, Chili Pepper, Coriander, Cumin, Garlic, Ginger, and Turmeric. Add broccoli or any other fresh veggies and in under an hour you have a dish that is better than your favorite takeout.
- 5 tablespoons olive oil or ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 SugarRoti Tofu Nu Spice Package
- 1 medium onion, chopped (approx 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup soy sauce (we prefer low-sodium or use a vegan alternative)
- 1 16 oz tofu, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large carrot, peeled and thinly sliced into rounds
- 8 oz broccoli, cut into 1-inch florets and stems (approx 3 cups)
- 4 cups of cooked and cooled long grain white rice
- 1/2 cup thawed frozen peas
- 4 large eggs, beaten (or use a vegan alternative)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 1 medium serrano chili, finely chopped (remove seeds for a milder spice)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- Wrap tofu in paper towel and press between 2 plates to remove excess water.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add SugarRoti Tofu Nu Spice Package and sauté until spices are sizzling and fragrant (1-2 min).
- Add 1/2 of the chopped onion, serrano and sauté until tender. Add soy sauce, sugar and tofu. Cook, stirring occasionally until softened. Transfer tofu along with juices to a bowl (5 min).
- In the same pan, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Add remaining onions, carrots and cook until softened. Add broccoli and cook until broccoli is softened. Add rice, peas, mix together and drizzle over 1 tablespoon of oil (6-8 min).
- Push rice mixture to one side of the pan. On the empty side of the pan, add remaining oil, egg and allow them to set a little before stirring. Cook until scrambled and mix with rice mixture. Add scallions and tofu mixture and combine (10 min).
- Remove chili pepper, garnish with cilantro before serving.
*Leftovers can be refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen