Our SugarRoti Sweet Potato Stew with Garbanzo & Greens is a warming, healthy Japanese inspired stew that's ready in under an hour. The amazing flavor and balanced heat of our SugarRoti Garbanzo Nu Spice blend is layered with the smoky sweetness of roasted sweet potatoes tossed with maple syrup, healthy greens and garbanzo beans. Soy sauce and the subtle zing of lime zest combined with our SugarRoti Garbanzo Nu Spice blend creates an inspired, healthy and vibrant stew, rich in vitamins, minerals and fiber.
Make this stew vegan by using olive oil instead of ghee (clarified butter).
- 2 medium sweet potatoes skin-on, cut into 1-inch cubes (approx. 2 cups)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil or ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 SugarRoti Garbanzo Nu Spice Package
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped (approx. 2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 ½ cups water (or your favorite broth)
- 4 cups (packed) kale, chopped (we also like spinach or collard greens)
- 1 15.5 oz can garbanzo beans, drained
- zest of 1 lime + 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 medium serrano chili, finely chopped (remove seeds for a milder spice)
- sour cream or yogurt, to taste
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
Preheat Oven to 400°F
- Mix sweet potatoes with maple syrup and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Spread in an even layer on a baking sheet and roast until sweet potatoes are tender and slightly toasted (15-20 min).
- Heat remaining 3 tablespoons of oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add SugarRoti Garbanzo Nu Spice package and sauté until spices are sizzling and fragrant (1-2 min).
- Add onions, serrano and sauté until onions are tender. Add water, soy sauce, greens, ¾ of garbanzo beans and lime zest. Cover and simmer (5-15 min).
- Use a fork to mash remaining garbanzo beans. Add mashed garbanzos and sweet potatoes to pot and stir to combine. Remove chili pepper, curry and bay leaves. Add lime juice, stir in sour cream or yogurt and garnish with chopped cilantro before serving.
*Leftovers can be refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen