The word “shakshuka” essentially means ‘all mixed up’ which this dish is, in the best possible way. Shakshuka is typical of North African and Arab cuisine that has also become a staple in Israel. Our SugarRoti Shakshuka recipe has only 6 steps, 5 fresh ingredients and on the table in less than an hour. Adding our delicious SugarRoti Egg Nu Spice blend makes this beautiful, savory dish taste truly amazing.
Enjoy over rice, quinoa, couscous, with a roti (also known as chapati – a round flatbread from India) warm crusty bread or by itself.
- 1 SugarRoti Egg Nu Spice Package
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or ghee (clarified butter)
- 6 eggs
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped (approx. 2 cups)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced (approx. 1 cup)
- 1 28 oz can whole peeled tomatoes
- ½ cup feta or goat cheese
- 1 medium serrano chili, finely chopped (remove seeds for a milder spice)
- sour cream or yogurt, to taste
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add SugarRoti Egg Nu Spice package and sauté until spices are sizzling and fragrant (1-2 min).
- Add onions, bell pepper and serrano and sauté until tender (4-5 min).
- Add whole peeled tomatoes and use a large spoon to break down tomatoes and mix. Remove bay leaf, cardamom pods and cloves (3-5 min).
- Use the large spoon to make 6 small wells in sauce and crack an egg into each well. Cover and simmer until eggs are cooked through (5-8 min).
- Garnish with cheese, parsley and sour cream or yogurt before serving.
*Leftovers can be refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen