Upma (also known as rava) is a popular Indian breakfast dish that is a family staple across India. It is a savory and satisfying porridge made from semolina (rava) and a few fresh healthy ingredients.
Our SugarRoti Semolina (Upma) recipe combines simple, healthy ingredients like peas and carrots with our delicious SugarRoti Lentil Nu Spice blend. It adds layers of delicious spice, taste and balanced heat that elevates this simple upma recipe into something incredible. Eat it for breakfast, brunch or make dinner out of it.
Make this dish vegan by using olive oil instead of ghee (clarified butter).
- 1 SugarRoti Lentil Nu Spice Package
- 1 cup semolina flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped (approx. 2 cups)
- ½ cup carrots, diced
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped (approx. 1 cup)
- ½ cup peas
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 medium serrano chili, finely chopped (remove seeds for a milder spice)
- ¼ cup chopped peanuts or cashews
- ¼ cup raisins
- In a large pan, cook semolina over medium heat until toasty but not brown. Transfer to a bowl and set aside (2-3 min).
- Heat oil in the same pan over medium heat. Add SugarRoti Lentil Nu Spice package and sauté until spices are sizzling and fragrant (1-2 min).
- Add onions, carrots and serrano. Sauté until onions are tender. Add tomatoes and stir, scraping bottom of pan (5-8 min).
- Add toasted semolina and stir until the mixture resembles wet sand. Add water, peas and cook until semolina is bubbling. Reduce heat to low and continue to stir constantly for 2 minutes (15-20).
- Remove chili pepper and curry leaves. Garnish with peanuts, cashews and raisins before serving.
*Leftovers can be refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen