Rice and beans together are a simple dish made from pantry staples eaten by cultures from around the world. We have taken this simple, universal, or was it Latin, dish to a whole new level of unique and amazing flavor with our SugarRoti Lentil Nu Spice. Our healthy, vegan, one-pot dinner, filled with iron and protein, is perfect for a Monday night to start your week strong, or any time you want a delicious easy breakfast, lunch or dinner, ready in under an hour.
- 1 SugarRoti Lentil Nu Spice Package
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped (approx. 2 cups)
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1 15.5 oz can red or pinto beans
- 2 cups water (use your favorite broth. For a thicker sauce, use less liquid)
- 1 medium serrano chili, finely chopped (remove seeds for a milder spice
- 4 andouille sausage, sliced (we like smoked sausage, but your favorite will do)
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- Lime wedges
- Soak rice in 3 cups water and drain before cooking (60 min). (Optional)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add SugarRoti Lentil Nu Spice package and sauté until spices are sizzling and fragrant (1-2 min).
- Add onions and serrano. Sauté until onions are tender (5-8 min).
- Add rice, beans (including the liquid), sausage and stir to combine. Add water and bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat to simmer until rice is cooked (25-30 min).
- Remove chili pepper and curry leaves. Garnish with cilantro and lime wedges before serving.
*Leftovers can be refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen