Our one-pot Red Lentil Soup is the perfect hack for increasing plant-based eating. This vegan and vegetarian soup is protein-packed, rich in vitamins and minerals and delivers the comforting warm flavors of Ajwain, Asofoedita, Cayenne, Chili Pepper, Coriander, Cumin, Curry Leaves, Fenugreek, Garlic, Ginger, Sea Salt, and Turmeric. Easy and delicious - just one packet of SugarRoti Lentil Nu Spice, lentils and tomatoes. Serve with some crusty bread or rotis for a perfect meal anytime.
- 1 SugarRoti Lentil Nu Spice Package
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped (approx. 2 cups)
- 1 28 oz chopped tomato with juice
- 1 lb dry red lentils, washed
- 2 quarts water or chicken stock (less if you want a thicker soup)
- 1 medium serrano chili, finely chopped (remove seeds for a milder spice)
- Lemon juice, as desired
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add SugarRoti Lentil Nu Spice package and sauté until spices are sizzling and fragrant (1-2 min).
- Add onions and serrano. Sauté until onions are tender. Add tomatoes, juice and stir, scraping bottom of pan (5-8 min).
- Add prepared lentils and water, bring to boil, reduce heat. Simmer covered until lentils are tender (30 min).
- Remove chili pepper and curry leaves, if you wish, puree with an immersion blender or just mash the lentils with the back of your spoon. Stir in lemon juice and garnish with cilantro before serving (5 min).
*Leftovers can be refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen