Pulled pork is a staple of the US south, in particular the Carolinas, where American barbecue (BBQ) has become a regional art. BBQ pulled pork is usually made with pork shoulder for the most tender, flavorful dish. We have given this regional favorite an international update by adding the unique flavor and spice profile of our SugarRoti Pork Nu Spice to create SugarRoti Pulled Pork sandwiches, a truly remarkable taste combination.
This dish is particularly well-suited to a slow cooker or Instant Pot - allowing the meat to cook slowly and become soft and tender to create the perfect pulled pork sandwich.
- 1 SugarRoti Pork Nu Spice Package
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 cup water or ½ cup water if using slow cooker (or your favorite broth)
- 2 lbs pork, cut into 1-inch cubes (we like pork shoulder, but your favorite cut will work great; ask your butcher to cube meat)
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped (approx. 2 cups)
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 bunch spinach, chopped (approx. 1 ½ cups) (we also like kale or collard greens)
- 4 toasted hamburger buns (we like pretzel or potato buns, but any hamburger bun will work)
- 1 medium serrano chili, finely chopped (remove seeds for a milder spice)
- sour cream or yogurt, to taste
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add SugarRoti Pork Nu Spice Package and sauté until spices are sizzling and fragrant (1-2 min).
- Add onions, tomatoes and cook until tender. Add pork, water, cover and simmer until pork is cooked. Add spinach and sauté until soft (15-20 min).
- Remove chili pepper and, using a fork, shred the pork. Stir in lemon juice, sour cream or yogurt and cilantro.
- Spoon pork onto toasted buns and serve.
Slow Cooker Recipe
- In a slow cooker, add SugarRoti Pork Nu Spice package, oil, water, pork, onions, serrano and tomatoes. Cook on medium/high heat until pork is tender (3-4 hours).
- Follow steps 3 and 4 above.
*Leftovers can be refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen