Taste SugarRoti’s update to a simple, timeless and delicious Indian (Gujarati) shaak, also known as “sabji”. Using our Vegetable Nu Spice blend, only 4 fresh ingredients and 4 simple steps, you’ll have a savory satisfying SugarRoti Potato, Onion & Tomato curry in less than an hour.
Make this dish vegan by using olive oil instead of ghee (clarified butter).
Enjoy over SugarRoti Kichiri, rice, quinoa, couscous, with a roti (also known as chapati – a round flatbread from India) or by itself.
- 1 SugarRoti Vegetable Nu Spice Package
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or ghee (clarified butter)
- 2 large potatoes skin-on, cut into 1-inch cubes (approx. 4 cups) (soak potatoes in 2 cups of water; drain before using)
- 2 medium yellow onions, cut into 1-inch cubes (approx. 4 cups)
- 2 medium tomato, coarsely chopped (approx. 2 cups)
- 2 cups water (or your favorite broth)
- 1 medium serrano chili, finely chopped (remove the seeds for a milder spice)
- sour cream or yogurt, to taste
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add SugarRoti Vegetable Nu Spice package and sauté until spices are sizzling and fragrant (1-2 min).
- Add onions, serrano and sauté until tender. Mix in tomatoes, scraping bottom of pan (5-8 min).
- Add potatoes, water, stir, cover and simmer until potatoes are cooked, stirring occasionally (15-30 min).
- Remove chili pepper, stir in sour cream or yogurt, and garnish with cilantro before serving.
*Leftovers can be refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen