India, meet New Orleans! We have taken a classic Cajun favorite and given it an Indian twist with our delicious SugarRoti Pork Nu Spice blend, adding layers of balanced spice and flavor from cumin, turmeric, coriander and other carefully curated spices. Combined with classic Cajun gumbo ingredients, our SugarRoti Pork Gumbo with Black Eyed Peas and Greens is a smoky, savory satisfying, truly delicious one-pot dinner, on the table in just over an hour.
- 3 tablespoon olive oil or ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 SugarRoti Pork Nu Spice Package
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped (approx. 2 cups)
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped (approx. 1 1/2 cups)
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 lb okra, sliced into 1/2-inch rounds (approx. 2 cups)
- 2 15.5 oz cans black eyed peas, drained
- 3 cups collard greens or spinach
- 1 lb smoked andouille sausage, cut into 1/2 rounds (or more to taste)
- 1/4 up flour
- 1 medium serrano chili, finely chopped (remove seeds for a milder spice)
- Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add SugarRoti Pork Nu Spice package and sauté until spices are sizzling and fragrant (1-2 min).
- Add onions, bell pepper, celery, okra and serrano. Sauté until vegetables are soft (8-10 min).
- Add 5 cups of chicken stock and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. In a separate small pan, heat 1 cup of stock and whisk in flour to make a smooth roux. Stir in the roux with the vegetables and stock and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally (20 min).
- Add black-eyed peas, sausage and bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer, add greens and simmer until soft. Remove pepper and serve (15 min).
*Leftovers can be refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen