This is SugarRoti’s update to the American “pork and beans” - a simple concept that we’ve elevated into something incredible by combining our Pork and Chickpea Curry recipe and SugarRoti Pork Nu Spice blend. Our SugarRoti Pork & Chickpea Curry dish transcends its simple ingredients.
- 1 SugarRoti Pork Nu Spice Package
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped (approx. 2 cups)
- 1 medium root vegetable, cut into ½-inch cubes (approx. 1 cup) (we like to use carrots, parsnips, or turnips)
- 2 bunches spinach, chopped (approx. 4 cups)
- 1 can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 lb. pork, cut into 1-inch cubes (we like pork shoulder, but any cut will work great; ask your butcher to trim fat and cut into cubes)
- 5 cups water (or your favorite broth; for a thicker curry, use less liquid)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 medium serrano chili, finely chopped (remove seeds for a milder spice)
- sour cream or yogurt, to taste
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add SugarRoti Pork Nu Spice package and sauté until spices are sizzling and fragrant (1-2 min).
- Add onions and serrano. Sauté until onions are tender (4-5 min).
- Add root vegetable, spinach, garbanzo beans, pork and stir, scraping the bottom of pan. Add water, simmer covered until pork and root vegetable are tender (25-40 min).
- Remove pepper and stir in sour cream or yogurt. Sprinkle with lemon juice and garnish with cilantro before serving.
*Leftovers can be refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen