Puttanesca sauce is most commonly associated with Naples, Italy. There is some dispute over the origin of this sauce’s name, with its reference to “ladies of the night.” What is beyond dispute is the delicious healthy sauce we’ve made with 5 simple ingredients and our SugarRoti Vegetable Nu Spice blend.
Combining tomatoes, black olives, capers and anchovies with SugarRoti Vegetable Nu Spice blend, in thirty minutes you’ll have a sauce that brings together the best of Italian and Indian culinary traditions to create something truly uniquely delicious - SugarRoti Pasta Puttanesca.
Make this vegan by using olive oil instead of ghee and skip the anchovies and cheese.
- ½ lb spaghetti pasta (you can also use linguine or any other long pasta)
- 1 SugarRoti Vegetable Nu Spice Package
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup pitted kalamata olives, sliced
- ½ cup capers
- 4 anchovy fillets, finely chopped (we love using them)
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- grated parmesan cheese, to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil. Cook pasta according to package directions. (we recommend al dente – tender but still firm). Set aside until ready to assemble (10 min).
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add SugarRoti Vegetable Nu Spice package and sauté until spices are sizzling and fragrant (1-2 min).
- Add diced tomatoes, olives, capers, anchovies and bring to a simmer. Add cooked pasta and toss in sauce. Remove chili pepper, garnish with parsley and parmesan cheese before serving (5-8 min).
*Leftovers can be refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen