The best of traditional Indian (Gujarati) spices meets the best of culinary Spain in this absolutely delicious update to paella using our SugarRoti Fish Nu Spice blend. Adding the delicious, taste, heat and layers of spice of our blends makes this Spanish dish that builds upon the best of both culinary traditions.
- 1 Spanish chorizo sausage, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 SugarRoti Fish Nu Spice Package
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped (approx. 2 cups)
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 ½ cups short grain Spanish rice
- 3 cups water
- ½ lb fish, 1-inch cubes (we like trout, halibut, or any mild white fish will do; ask your butcher to cut into cubes)
- ½ lb scallops
- 1 lb littleneck clams or mussels, scrubbed clean (or ½ lb of each)
- ½ lb jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ½ cup frozen sweet peas
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 lemon, cut into 4-6 wedges
- generous pinch saffron threads
- Sauté chorizo in a large wide skillet or paella pan over medium heat until browned. Remove from pan and set aside (2-5 min).
- Add oil and SugarRoti Fish Nu Spice package to pan and sauté until spices are sizzling and fragrant (1-2 min).
- Add onions and sauté until tender. Add tomatoes and stir, scraping bottom of pan. Stir in rice and mix to evenly coat. Add water and simmer (15-20 min).
- Add chorizo, saffron, fish and scallops and continue simmering until rice is al dente. Mix in peas and add clams, mussels and shrimp, tucking them into the rice. Continue cooking until seafood is cooked through and rice is fluffy and moist (10-15 min).
- Increase to high heat to toast the rice at the bottom of the pan (1-2 mins). Remove pan from heat, allow to rest and garnish with lemon wedges and parsley before serving (5 mins).
*Leftovers can be refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen