Okra has a long and storied culinary history. The Egyptians were the first to cultivate okra in the Nile basin and from there it moved through North Africa to the Mediterranean, the Balkans, and then to India. In India okra was used to create one of our favorite Indian dish, Okra Masala or Bhindi Masala. This superfood is a great source of fiber, low in calories and filled with vitamins and flavor on its own. When it’s combined with SugarRoti Vegetable Nu Spice in our Okra Masala, it is transformed into a delicious, healthy dinner. With only 3 fresh ingredients and 3 simple steps you’ll have it on the table in under an hour.
Enjoy this delicious curry dish over rice, quinoa, couscous, with a roti (also known as chapati – a round flatbread from India) or by itself.
- 1 SugarRoti Vegetable Nu Spice Package
- 4 tablespoons olive oil or ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 lb okra, sliced (wash and dry okra before using)
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced thinly (approx. 2 cups)
- ½ cup water (or your favorite broth)
- 1 medium serrano chili, finely chopped (remove the seeds for a milder spice)
- sour cream or yogurt, to taste
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add SugarRoti Vegetable Nu Spice package and sauté until spices are sizzling and fragrant (1-2 min).
- Add onions, serrano, okra, water and sauté until tender and cooked, scraping bottom of pan (20-25 min).
- Remove chili pepper, stir in sour cream or yogurt, and garnish with cilantro before serving.
*Leftovers can be refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen