Who doesn’t love warm, cheesy Mexican nachos loaded with beans and all the fixings? We’ve updated everyone’s favorite, mixing black beans with our delicious SugarRoti Lentil Nu Spice, layered over tortilla chips and topped with melted cheese to create our own unique SugarRoti Nachos. Truly the most tasty, spicy update to an old Tex-Mex favorite that friends and family will love.
Make this dish vegan by using olive oil instead of ghee (clarified butter) and a cheese alternative.
- 1 SugarRoti Lentil Nu Spice Package
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped (approx. 1 cup)
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped (approx. 2 cups)
- 2 14.5 oz cans black beans, drained
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 bag corn tortilla chips (approx. 14-16 oz)
- 1 medium tomato, chopped (approx. 1 cup)
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 medium serrano chili, finely chopped (remove seeds for milder spice)
- sour cream or yogurt, to taste
- cilantro chutney (see recipe)
Preheat Oven to 425°F
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add SugarRoti Lentil Nu Spice package and sauté until spices are sizzling and fragrant (1-2 min).
- Add bell peppers, onions, serrano and sauté until tender. Mix in black beans, slightly mashing as you stir. Remove chili pepper and curry leaves then stir in lemon juice and set aside until ready to assemble (5-10 min).
- On a foil-lined 13x18 inch baking tray, arrange half of the chips in a single layer. Layer half of the bean mixture, chopped tomatoes, and cheddar cheese. Build a second layer of chips, bean mixture, tomatoes and cheddar cheese.
- Bake nachos until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Garnish with sour cream or yogurt, cilantro chutney and serve (7-10 min).
SugarRoti Cilantro Chutney
Chutney can be made ahead of time and stored for up to 5 days in the refrigerator
- 2 large bunches fresh cilantro (approx. 4 cups), roughly chopped
- 1 small serrano chili, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- If the chutney is too thick, add up to 3 tablespoons of water, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Add salt or lime juice, to taste.
*Leftovers can be refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen