Warm up a traditional Tamil Nadu mulligatawny soup with SugarRoti Beef Nu Spice blend. Mulligatawny soup is an Anglo-Indian soup that became popular at the end of the 18th century. It was brought back into contemporary culture when it was one of the Soup Nazi’s offerings on the popular Seinfeld television show.
SugarRoti Mulligatawny Soup is a delicious, savory one-pot meal that can be made in just over an hour. A timeless, delicious and healthy soup that’s even better the next day.
- 1 SugarRoti Beef Nu Spice Package
- 3 tablespoons butter or ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped (approx. 2 cups)
- 2 carrots, finely sliced (approx. 1 cup)
- 2 celery stalks, finely sliced (approx. 1 cup)
- 1 ½ tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 cups water (or your favorite broth)
- 1 lb beef, cut into 1-inch cubes (we like top sirloin, but your favorite cut is great. Ask you butcher to remove fat and cut into cubes)
- ½ cup rice
- ½ medium apple, cored and chopped
- 1 medium serrano chili, finely chopped (remove seeds for milder spice)
- ¼ cup heavy cream, heated
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Heat butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add SugarRoti Beef Nu Spice package and sauté until spices are sizzling and fragrant (1-2 min).
- Add onions, serrano, carrots, celery and sauté until tender. Stir in flour and mix. Add water and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer (20-25 min).
- Add beef, rice, apples and simmer until rice is cooked and beef is tender (15-20 min).
- Remove chili pepper, bay leaves, cardamom pods, cinnamon sticks and cloves. Drizzle in hot cream and garnish with parsley before serving.
*Leftovers can be refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen