A quintessential American comfort food gets the most delicious spicy update by adding SugarRoti’s Vegetable Nu Spice to macaroni and cheese - SugarRoti Mac & Cheese. The added spice and warmth from our unique spice blend combined with with creamy, gooey melted cheese and crispy Panko bread crumbs makes our interpretation of this simple comfort food a dish you’ll cook again and again. Never eat boxed mac and cheese again.
- 1 ½ cups elbow macaroni
- 1 SugarRoti Vegetable Nu Spice Package
- 2 tablespoons butter or ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped (approx. 2 cups)
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup half & half
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 ½ cups gruyere cheese, shredded
- ½ cup Panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 medium serrano chili, finely chopped (remove the seeds for a milder spice)
Preheat Oven to 375°F
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil. Cook pasta according to package directions. (we prefer al dente – tender but still firm). Set aside until ready to assemble.
- Heat butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add SugarRoti Vegetable Nu Spice package and sauté until spices are sizzling and fragrant (1-2 min).
- Add onion, serrano and sauté until onions are tender. Add milk, half & half, flour and whisk while the milk reduces and thickens. Remove pan from heat, whisk in cheddar and gruyere cheese until cheese is completely melted and sauce is smooth. Add cooked pasta and mix (15-20 min).
- Remove chili pepper and transfer to a 9x13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle parmesan cheese and Panko in an even layer.
- Bake until sauce is bubbling, and parmesan Panko topping is toasty and golden brown (15-20 min). Enjoy!
*Leftovers can be refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen