A traditional Gujarati meal is not complete without dal. Dal is a common, simple recipe, served every day in every Gujarati household. It can be made with red lentils, Beluga lentils or yellow split peas, also known as toor dahl/dal.
We have taken that traditional Indian (Gujarati) dal staple and made it easy, even more delicious and healthy with our SugarRoti Lentils and Greens Curry. Using our SugarRoti Lentil Nu Spice blend with just 5 ingredients and 5 simple steps, you will have a truly uniquely delicious lentil (dal) dish that is both healthy and satisfying. Make it vegan by using olive oil instead of ghee (clarified butter).
Enjoy over rice, quinoa, couscous, with a roti (also known as chapati – a round flatbread from India) or by itself.
- 1 SugarRoti Lentil Nu Spice Package
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped (approx. 2 cups)
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped (approx. 1 cup)
- 3 cups kale chopped roughly (we also love spinach or collard greens)
- 1 cup dry lentils or 2 15 oz cans cooked lentils (we also like to use kidney beans, mung beans, black eyed peas, split peas (toor dal), yellow pigeon peas, red beans or black beluga beans)
- 5 cups water for dry lentils or 2 ½ cups water for canned lentils (or use your favorite broth. For a thicker sauce, use less liquid)
- 1 medium serrano chili, finely chopped (remove seeds for a milder spice)
- sour cream or yogurt, to taste
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- If using packaged dry lentils, follow the product instructions to prepare. If using bulk dry lentils, soak overnight in 3 cups of water and drain before cooking.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add SugarRoti Lentil Nu Spice package and sauté until spices are sizzling and fragrant (1-2 min).
- Add onions and serrano. Sauté until onions are tender. Add tomatoes and stir, scraping bottom of pan (5-8 min).
- Add prepared lentils and water. Simmer covered until lentils are tender. In the last 10 minutes, add kale and sauté uncovered until soft (30-40 min).
- Remove chili pepper and curry leaves. Stir in sour cream or yogurt and garnish with cilantro before serving.
*Leftovers can be refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen