Our SugarRoti Lamb & Sweet Potato Curry Recipe, also known as Indian lamb curry, is a savory, simple entrée to add to your weekly menu - a nod to the original railway mutton curry served on long-distance train trips in India during the British Raj colonial-era. With SugarRoti Lamb Nu Spice and 3 fresh, healthy ingredients, you're only 4 simple steps away from making this quick, easy and incredibly delicious lamb curry for your friends and family.
SugarRoti Lamb & Sweet Potato Curry can be easily modified for your slow cooker or Instant Pot for an even easier, delicious family meal to make ahead.
Enjoy over rice, quinoa, couscous, with a roti (also known as chapati – a round flatbread from India) or by itself.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, skin-on cut into ½-inch cubes (approx. 3 cups)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil or ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 SugarRoti Lamb Nu Spice Package
- 1 lb lamb, cut into 1-inch cubes (we like lamb shoulder, but any cut will work great. Ask your butcher to trim fat and cut into cubes)
- 2 ½ cups water (or your favorite broth; for a thicker curry, use less liquid)
- 1 medium serrano chili, sliced or finely chopped (remove seeds for a milder spice)
- sour cream or yogurt, to taste
- ¼ cup fresh mint, finely chopped
Preheat Oven to 400°F
- Toss sweet potatoes with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and spread evenly on a baking sheet. Roast until tender and lightly toasted (15-20 min).
- While the potatoes are roasting, heat remaining oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add SugarRoti Lamb Nu Spice package and sauté until spices are sizzling and fragrant (1-2 min).
- Add lamb and serrano. Sauté until lamb is brown. Add water and stir, scraping bottom of pan. Simmer until lamb is tender (30-40 min).
- Mix in roasted sweet potatoes and simmer (1-2 min). Remove curry leaves, stir in sour cream or yogurt and garnish with mint before serving.