Our SugarRoti Lamb Kofta Curry recipe is a delicious creative take on the Middle Eastern dish. Traditionally, it's made from ground lamb or beef mixed with onions, garlic and spices, shaped into balls and served with pita, salads, dips and sauces. Our interpretation uses our SugarRoti Lamb Nu Spice blend, 6 simple, healthy ingredients and only 5 steps to make this truly delicious lamb kofta curry.
Enjoy over rice, quinoa, couscous, with a roti (also known as chapati – a round flatbread from India) or by itself.
- 1 lb lean ground lamb
- 1 egg
- 1 SugarRoti Lamb Nu Spice Package
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped (approx. 2 cups)
- 3 medium tomatoes, roughly chopped (approx. 3 cups)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 ½ cups water (or your favorite broth)
- 1 medium serrano chili, finely chopped (remove seeds for a milder spice)
- sour cream or yogurt, to taste
- ¼ cup fresh mint, chopped
- In a medium bowl, mix together the ground lamb and egg. Form mixture into approx. 24 meatballs, each about the size of a walnut shell. Set aside until ready to cook.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add SugarRoti Lamb Nu Spice package and sauté until spices are sizzling and fragrant (1-2 min).
- Add onions, tomatoes, tomato paste, serrano and sauté until tender. Stir in 1 ¼ cups of water, cover and simmer (5-10 min).
- Remove from heat and remove curry leaves. Using an immersion blender or in small batches in your blender, blend sauce until smooth. Return pan to medium heat and add remaining 1 cup of water and meatballs. Cover and simmer until meatballs are tender and cooked through (15-25 min).
- Stir in sour cream or yogurt and garnish with chopped mint before serving.
*Leftovers can be refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen