Our SugarRoti Kichiri, also known as khichdi, is a classic Indian (Gujarati) comfort food. Using our carefully blended SugarRoti Kichiri Nu Spice, we’ve created a simple, comforting dish that you can eat alone or pair with any of your favorite SugarRoti recipes. Make this dish vegan by using olive oil instead of ghee (clarified butter).
Enjoy with SugarRoti’s Potato, Tomato, & Onion Curry, another of your favorite SugarRoti curries or by itself.
- 1 SugarRoti Kichiri Nu Spice Package
- ½ cup rice
- 1 cup dry split mung beans or yellow split beans
- 2 teaspoons olive oil or ghee (clarified butter)
- 3 cups water (or your favorite broth)
- sugar or honey, to taste (for a sweeter flavor)
- Soak rice and beans in 3 cups water and drain before cooking (60 min). (Optional)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add SugarRoti Kichiri Nu Spice package and sauté until spices are sizzling and fragrant (1-2 min).
- Add rice and beans and sauté. Add water or broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until rice and beans are tender (20-30 min).
- Add sugar or honey if desired and serve.
*Leftovers can be refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen