SugarRoti Hummus brings Indian chana masala or chole and Egypt together in this amazingly delicious and creative update on a timeless Middle Eastern dish. SugarRoti’s unique spices and 4 simple healthy ingredients make this hummus a dish that you’ll want to make again and again. Make this dish vegan by using olive oil instead of ghee (clarified butter).
Enjoy with your favorite fresh vegetables, naan, pita chips, roti (also known as chapati – a round flatbread from India) or by itself.
- 1 SugarRoti Garbanzo Nu Spice Package
- 3 tablespoons + ¼ cup olive oil or ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped (approx. 2 cups)
- 2 15.5 oz cans garbanzo beans, drained
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 medium serrano chili, finely chopped (remove seeds for a milder spice)
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heat 3 tablespoon of oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add SugarRoti Garbanzo Nu Spice package and sauté until spices are sizzling and fragrant (1-2 min).
- Add onions, serrano and sauté until onions are tender. Add garbanzo beans, water, cover and simmer (5-10 min).
- Remove from heat, uncover and allow to cool (5 mins). Remove chili pepper, curry and bay leaves and transfer to a blender.
- Add lemon juice, ¼ cup olive oil and blend until smooth and creamy (5 mins). Garnish with cilantro before serving.
*Leftovers can be refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen