Who doesn’t love a bowl of warm, rich, savory, cheesy French onion soup? Our take on this classic soup, SugarRoti French Onion Soup, delivers layers of surprising and delicious flavors and balanced spice. SugarRoti Beef Nu Spice and 6 simple fresh ingredients combine to create a remarkably delicious and healthy meal that tastes even better the next day.
Our blend transforms a traditional dish into something that truly defies any one culinary definition.
Make this dish vegan by using olive oil instead of ghee (clarified butter) and vegetable broth instead of beef broth.
- 1 SugarRoti Beef Nu Spice Package
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or ghee (clarified butter)
- 3 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 1 cup red wine
- 4 cups beef broth (or your favorite broth)
- 1 baguette, sliced and toasted
- ½ lb grated Gruyere
- 1 medium serrano chili, finely chopped (remove seeds for a milder spice)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add SugarRoti Beef Nu Spice package and sauté until spices are sizzling and fragrant (1-2 min).
- Add onions and serrano. Sauté until onions are caramelized (25-30 min).
- Add wine, reduce heat to simmer until wine has evaporated (5-8 min).
- Remove bay leaves, cardamom pods, cinnamon sticks and cloves. Add flour and stir (8-10 min).
- Add broth and simmer (10 min). Ladle the soup into bowls, top with toasted bread and a generous amount of cheese. Broil to melt the cheese before serving.
*Leftovers can be refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen