The perfect pantry soup, perfect cold weather soup and "make me feel better" meal! Our Curried Lentil and Coconut Soup Recipe is a twist on a traditional Indian lentil curry. Spiced to satisfy, this recipe is five ingredients and five steps. Lentil Nu Spice brings an aromatic flavor to this healthy soup sensation. See how easy Curried Lentil Soup can be with SugarRoti!
- 1 SugarRoti Lentil Nu Spice Package
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped (approx. 2 cups)
- 1 14.5 oz crushed tomato
- 3/4 cup dry lentils (we like to use mung beans, black eyed peas, split peas (toor dal), yellow pigeon peas, red beans or black beluga beans)
- 1 13.5 oz coconut milk (unsweetened)
- 1/2 cup of water (less if you want a thicker soup)
- 1 medium serrano chili, finely chopped (remove seeds for a milder spice)
- sour cream or yogurt, to taste
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- Soak dry lentils for 1 hour in 3 cups of water and drain before cooking.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add SugarRoti Lentil Nu Spice package and sauté until spices are sizzling and fragrant (1-2 min).
- Add onions and serrano. Sauté until onions are tender. Add tomatoes and stir, scraping bottom of pan (5-8 min).
- Add prepared lentils, coconut milk and water. Simmer covered until lentils are tender (30-40 min).
- Remove chili pepper and curry leaves. Stir in sour cream or yogurt and garnish with cilantro before serving.
*Leftovers can be refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen