Ordinary garbanzo beans, spinach, spaghetti and parmesan – simple ingredients transformed into something extraordinary using our SugarRoti Garbanzo Nu Spice blend. Creamy, delicious and beautiful to behold, our easy vegetarian or vegan SugarRoti Chickpea Pasta with Greens twist on Italian pasta requires just a few simple fresh ingredients for a satisfying savory meal. Make it dinner or serve as a side-dish so you have left-overs, it’s on your dinner table in under an hour.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 SugarRoti Garbanzo Nu Spice Package
- 1 14.5 oz can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped (approx. 1 cup)
- 1 cup heavy cream (make it vegan with non-dairy alternative)
- 10 oz baby spinach (or any greens you like)
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 12 oz spaghetti or any thin long pasta
- medium serrano chili, finely chopped (remove seeds for a milder spice)
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- ¼ cup rosemary, finely chopped
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil.
- At the same time, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add SugarRoti Garbanzo Nu Spice package and sauté until spices are sizzling and fragrant (1-2 min).
- Mix garbanzo beans, stirring occasionally, until they start to caramelize at their edges and pop. Use a slotted spoon to transfer about a quarter of the garbanzo beans to a bowl and reserve for garnish (10 min).
- Reduce to medium heat, add shallots, serrano and saute until softened. Add cream and cook until sauce is slightly thickened. Turn off heat, remove chili pepper, curry leaves, bay leaves and stir in greens (5 min).
- Add pasta to boiling water, reduce heat to medium and cook according to package instructions until al dente (5 - 6 min).
- Do not drain, using a pasta spoon or tongs transfer the pasta directly from the pot to the sauce. Turn heat to medium-high, add 1 cup of the pasta cooking water, Parmesan and mix, stirring constantly until the sauce is thickened. Add more of the reserved pasta water, as necessary, to loosen the sauce (10 min).
- Top with reserved chickpeas, rosemary, a squeeze of lemon juice and serve.
*Leftovers can be refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen