Our SugarRoti Chicken Shepherd’s Pie recipe is a healthy, creative take on the traditional shepherd’s pie or cottage pie. Using our delicious SugarRoti Chicken Nu Spice blend, our recipe brings together English, Irish and Indian culinary tradition to create a unique dish bursting with flavor and the layered heat and spice from our SugarRoti Chicken Nu Spice blend.
This satisfying and economical dish is made with fresh, simple ingredients. A dish your friends and family will love and ask for again and again.
- 2 medium potatoes skin-on, cut into 1-inch cubes (approx. 3 cups)
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup half & half (or your favorite dairy or milk alternative)
- 1 SugarRoti Chicken Nu Spice Package
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped (approx. 2 cups)
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped (approx. 1 cup)
- 1 lb ground chicken
- ½ cup frozen peas
preparationPreheat Oven to 375°F
- Place potatoes in a large pot with 3 cups of water. Boil over medium heat until fully cooked. Drain, add butter and half & half and mash until smooth. Set aside until ready to assemble (approx. 10-15 min). (can be made ahead).
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add SugarRoti Chicken Nu Spice package and sauté until spices are sizzling and fragrant (1-2 min).
- Add onions and sauté until tender. Add tomatoes and stir to blend, scraping bottom of pan. Add ground chicken and sauté until cooked. Remove chili pepper, bay leaves, cardamom pods, cinnamon sticks and cloves (10-15 min).
- Add frozen peas, stir to combine and pour the curry chicken filling into a 9x13 baking dish. Cover with the mashed potatoes and spread to the edges.
- Bake until bubbling (8-10 min). With the pie still in the oven broil until potatoes are golden brown (1-2 min).
*Leftovers can be refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen