The general consensus is that pot pies originated in ancient Greece and were brought to North America in the 19th century. We’ve updated this timeless American comfort food, using simple, fresh, healthy ingredients together with the unique taste and balanced spices of our delicious SugarRoti Chicken Nu spice blend to create this SugarRoti Chicken Pot Pie.
- 2 medium skin-on potatoes, cut into ½-inch cubes (approx. 3 cups) (soak cut potatoes in 2 cups of water, drain before using)
- 1 cup carrots, cut into ¼ inch slices
- 1 SugarRoti Chicken Nu Spice Package
- ½ cup butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped (approx. 2 cups)
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup milk
- 1 ½ cups water (or your favorite broth)
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded or ½-inch cubes (we like use rotisserie chicken)
- ½ cup frozen peas
- ½ cup frozen corn
- 2 9-inch pie crusts (we like to use prepared frozen crust, thawed)
- 1 medium serrano chili, sliced or finely chopped (remove seeds for a milder spice)
Preheat Oven to 425°F
- Heat butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add SugarRoti Chicken Nu Spice package and sauté until spices are sizzling and fragrant (1-2 min).
- Add onions, serrano, carrots and sauté until tender. Mix in flour then gradually stir in milk and water. Continue stirring and bring to a boil (7-10 min).
- Stir in chicken, peas, corn, potatoes and cook. Remove from heat and remove chili pepper, bay leaves, cardamom pods, cinnamon sticks and cloves (7-10 min).
- Unroll pie crust and press into a 9-inch pie dish. Pour in the filling and cover with remaining pie crust. Trim any excess crust, seal the edges and cut slits into the top.
- Bake until the crust is golden brown. Allow pie to cool before serving (35-40 min).
*Leftovers can be refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen