Taste SugarRoti’s savory take on a comforting, seasonal American dish. We’ve given this timeless soup an update with the unique flavors and layered heat and spice of our SugarRoti Potato and Cauliflower Spice Nu blend to create SugarRoti Butternut Squash Soup. This is a delicious, healthy, one-pot soup best enjoyed with a loaf of warm crusty bread for dipping and shared with friends and family.
Make this dish vegan by using olive oil instead of ghee (clarified butter).
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 SugarRoti Potato Cauliflower Nu Spice Package
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped (approx. 2 cups)
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes (approx. 3 lbs)
- 4 cups water (or your favorite broth)
- 1 medium serrano chili, finely chopped (remove seeds for a milder spice)
- sour cream or yogurt, to taste
- 2 springs fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, finely chopped
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add SugarRoti Potato Cauliflower Nu Spice package and sauté until spices are sizzling and fragrant (1-2 min).
- Add onions, serrano and sauté until tender (4-5 min).
- Add squash, water, cover and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until squash is cooked (20-30 min).
- Remove pot from heat and remove chili pepper. Blend using an immersion blender or in batches until smooth (5 min).
- Stir in sour cream or yogurt and garnish with a sprinkle of rosemary and sage before serving.
*Leftovers can be refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen