So the story goes, butter chicken, also known as murgh makhani, was created entirely by happy accident. Butter chicken originated in Delhi sometime during the 1950s where it was first served at a restaurant called Moti Mahal. The chefs would mix leftover tandoori chicken with butter and tomato. It’s unlikely that they ever had the faintest idea of what they had created – an internationally beloved Indian delicacy.
The chicken is traditionally marinated in yogurt blended with spices like garlic, coriander, garam marsala, ginger, cumin and others and simmered in a curry sauce rich with butter. SugarRoti has created its own easy take on this beloved dish, using our SugarRoti Chicken Nu Spice blend and requiring only six fresh ingredients and five steps to create this timeless and uniquely SugarRoti dish.
Enjoy over rice, quinoa, couscous, with a roti (also known as chapati – a round flatbread from India) or by itself.
- 2 lbs chicken breast cut into ½-inch cubes (ask your butcher to remove fat and cut into cubes)
- 1 cup of yogurt or non-dairy alternative
- 1 SugarRoti Chicken Nu Spice Package
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped (approx. 2 cups)
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped (approx. 1 cup)
- ¼ cup water (or your favorite broth)
- ½ cup of cream or non-dairy alternative
- 1 medium serrano chili, sliced or finely chopped (remove seeds for a milder spice)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- Marinate chicken in yogurt and lemon juice for approx. 30 minutes (we recommend overnight).
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add SugarRoti Chicken Nu Spice Package and sauté until spices are sizzling and fragrant (1-2 min).
- Add onions, serrano and sauté until onions are tender (4-5 min); then stir in tomatoes scraping bottom of pan (1-2 min).
- Add chicken, yogurt and water. Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally (15-20 min). Add cream and simmer (4-5 min).
- Remove chili pepper, bay leaves, cardamom pods, cinnamon sticks and cloves. Garnish with cilantro before serving.
*Leftovers can be refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen