People all over the world have been making stew since ancient times – from Ireland, across Europe to Japan and over to India - simple, savory and so satisfying. We’ve spiced up a standard American beef stew with our SugarRoti Beef Nu Spice. Only 5 steps and 8 fresh ingredients, you’ll have a modern update to this timeless one-pot comfort dish to carry you through long winter nights into spring. SugarRoti Beef Stew – simple, savory and satisfying. It’s what for dinner.
Enjoy with warm crusty French bread, over rice, quinoa, couscous, with a roti (also known as chapati – a round flatbread from India) or by itself.
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 lb beef, cut into 1-inch cubes (we recommend top sirloin, but any cut will do. Ask your butcher to remove fat and cut into cubes)
- 1 SugarRoti Beef Nu Spice Package
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or ghee (clarified butter)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 cut red wine
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped (approx. 2 cups)
- 5 medium carrots, cut into ½-inch rounds (approx. 3 cups)
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 cups water (or your favorite broth. For a thicker sauce, use less liquid)
1 medium serrano chili, finely chopped (remove seeds for a milder spice)
- sour cream or yogurt, to taste
- ¼ cup cilantro, finely chopped
- Toss beef in flour and coat well. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Brown beef on all sides and set aside (5 min).
- In the same saucepan, heat remaining oil over medium heat. Add SugarRoti Beef Nu Spice package and sauté until spices are sizzling and fragrant. Add vinegar and wine scraping bottom of pan until wine has cooked off (5 min).
- Add onions, carrots and serrano. Sauté until onions are tender (4-5 min).
- Add browned beef, potatoes and water. Bring to boil and then reduce to simmer until beef and potatoes are cooked (30-40 min).
- Add water, cover and simmer until beef is tender, stirring occasionally (30-40 min).
- Remove bay leaves, cardamom pods, cinnamon sticks, and cloves. Stir in sour cream or yogurt and garnish with cilantro before serving.
*Leftovers can be refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen