A modern take on a traditional Indian (Gujarati) curry, it’s pure comfort in a bowl. This delicately spiced, beef and greens curry recipe makes a mouthwatering meal for four, with just four key ingredients.
Succulent tender beef, fresh greens, and our aromatic Beef Nu Spice blend combined to deliver an unbelievably easy beef curry that’s healthy, tasty, and super-economical. Plus, you can even make it ahead of time in your Instant Pot or slow cooker. What’s not to love?
Enjoy SugarRoti Beef & Greens Curry over rice, quinoa, couscous, with a roti (also known as chapati – a round flatbread from India) or by itself.
- 1 SugarRoti Beef Nu Spice Package
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped (approx. 2 cups)
- 2 bunches collard greens, roughly chopped (approx. 6 cups) (we also like spinach or kale)
- 1 ½ lbs beef, cut into 1-inch cubes (we recommend top sirloin, but any cut will do. Ask your butcher to remove fat and cut into cubes)
- 2 cups water (or your favorite broth. For a thicker sauce, use less liquid)
- 1 medium serrano chili, finely chopped (remove seeds for a milder spice)
- sour cream or yogurt, to taste
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add SugarRoti Beef Nu Spice package and sauté until spices are sizzling and fragrant (1-2 min).
- Add onions and serrano. Sauté until onions are tender (4-5 min).
- Add beef and collard greens and stir, scraping bottom of pan (1-2 min).
- Add water, cover and simmer until beef is tender, stirring occasionally (30-40 min).
- Remove bay leaves, cardamom pods, cinnamon sticks, and cloves. Stir in sour cream or yogurt and garnish with cilantro before serving.
*Leftovers can be refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen