Mediterranean Lentil Soup is given a powerful punch of taste and spice using our Lentil Nu Spice blend. This is a delicious savory soup that can be made in under an hour - a no fuss, healthy meal that’s even better the next day.
For a chunkier soup and to save time, our wildly delicious SugarRoti Mediterranean Lentil Soup can be made without pureeing. This is a simple lentil soup great for a cold winter afternoon, or any time you want to indulge yourself, friends and family with healthy Mediterranean taste. Make this dish vegan by using olive oil instead of ghee (clarified butter).
Enjoy with a roti also known as chapati – a round flatbread from India), warm crusty bread or by itself.
- 1 SugarRoti Lentil Nu Spice Package
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped (approx. 2 cups)
- 2 carrots, chopped s (approx. 1 cup)
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup dry lentils or 2 cans cooked lentils (we like brown or green lentils, mung beans, or split peas)
- 2 ½ cups water (or your favorite broth)
- 1 cup kale, chopped (we also like collard greens or spinach)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 medium serrano chili, finely chopped (remove seeds for a milder spice)
- sour cream or yogurt, to taste
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- If using packaged dry lentils, follow the product instructions to prepare. If using bulk dry lentils, soak overnight in 3 cups of room temperature water and drain before cooking.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add SugarRoti Lentil Nu Spice package and sauté until spices are sizzling and fragrant (1-2 min).
- Add onions, carrots, serrano and sauté. Add diced tomatoes and simmer until soft. Add lentils, water and bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer until lentils are cooked (25-35 min).
- Remove chili pepper and curry leaves. Transfer 2 cups of soup to a blender and puree until smooth (or use an immersion blender and partially blend soup in pot) (5 min). Add the blended soup back into the pot with the chopped kale and simmer. Sprinkle with lemon juice, stir in sour cream or yogurt and garnish with cilantro before serving.
*Leftovers can be refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen