We’ve added fresh spinach to our SugarRoti Chickpea (Garbanzo) Curry recipe (also known as chana masala or chole) to create another simple, healthy one-pot Indian meal. Using our SugarRoti Garbanzo Nu Spice blend, our dry Garbanzo with Spinach dish can be prepared in 30 minutes using only 4 fresh ingredients. Make this dish vegan by using olive oil instead of ghee (clarified butter).
Enjoy over rice, couscous, quinoa, or with a roti (also known as chapati – a round flatbread from India) or by itself.
- 1 SugarRoti Garbanzo Nu Spice Package
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped (approx. 2 cups)
- 2 10 oz packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained well
- 2 15.5 oz cans garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 medium serrano chili, finely chopped (remove seeds for a milder spice)
- sour cream or yogurt, to taste
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add SugarRoti Garbanzo Nu Spice package and sauté until spices are sizzling and fragrant (1-2 min).
- Add onions, serrano and sauté until onions are tender (4-5 min).
- Stir in spinach, garbanzo beans and sauté (5-10 min).
- Remove chili pepper, curry and bay leaves. Stir in sour cream or yogurt and garnish with cilantro before serving.
*Leftovers can be refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen