Chana masala or chole, is a tangy chickpea (garbanzo) curry sold by street vendors throughout India, as a snack, main meal, or breakfast. Our SugarRoti Chickpea (Garbanzo) Curry is a delicious, high protein, vegan one-pot Indian curry that can be made in 40 minutes using only 4 fresh ingredients and our SugarRoti Garbanzo Nu Spice. Make this dish vegan by using olive oil instead of ghee (clarified butter).
Enjoy over rice, quinoa, couscous, with a roti (also known as chapati – a round flatbread from India) or by itself.
- 1 SugarRoti Garbanzo Nu Spice Package
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped (approx. 2 cups)
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped (approx. 1 cup)
- 2 cans garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 ½ cups water (or your favorite broth. For a thicker curry, use less liquid)
- medium serrano chili, finely chopped (remove seeds for a milder spice)
- sour cream or yogurt, to taste
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add SugarRoti Garbanzo Nu Spice package and sauté until spices are sizzling and fragrant (1-2 min).
- Add onions and serrano. Sauté until onions are tender. Add tomatoes and stir, scraping bottom of pan (5-8 min).
- Mash ½ cup garbanzo beans and add mashed beans plus whole beans to the saucepan. Add water, cover and simmer (13-15 min).
- Remove chili pepper, curry leaves and bay leaves. Stir in sour cream or yogurt and garnish with fresh cilantro before serving.
*Leftovers can be refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen