SugarRoti Chicken Potato Curry, or murghanu shaak/sabji, is derived from a timeless Indian (Gujarati) blend. Using only 5 fresh ingredients, 5 steps and our SugarRoti Chicken Nu Spice blend, you can cook a delicious, healthy meal for 4. This is a contemporary and healthy update to the traditional Gujarati chicken and potato curry, but you can also use the flavors and layers of spice in our SugarRoti Chicken Nu spice blend to create a delicious butter chicken or chicken tikka masala.
Enjoy over rice, quinoa, couscous, with a roti (also known as chapati – a round flatbread from India) or by itself.
- 1 SugarRoti Chicken Nu Spice Package
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped (approx. 2 cups)
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped (approx. 1 cup)
- 2 medium potatoes, skin-on cut into ½-inch cubes (approx. 3 cups) (soak cut potatoes in 2 cups of water, drain before using)
- 1 lb chicken breast cut into ½-inch cubes (ask your butcher to remove fat and cut into cubes)
- 1 cup water (or your favorite broth)
- 1 medium serrano chili, sliced or finely chopped (remove seeds for a milder spice)
- sour cream or yogurt, to taste
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add SugarRoti Chicken Nu Spice package and sauté until spices are sizzling and fragrant (1-2 min).
- Add onions, serrano and sauté until onions are tender (4-5 min).
- Add tomatoes and stir, scraping the bottom of the pan (1-2 min).
- Add chicken, potatoes and water. Simmer uncovered until potatoes are tender but not mushy, stirring occasionally (20-25 min).
- Remove chili pepper, bay leaves, cardamom pods, cinnamon sticks and cloves. Stir in sour cream or yogurt and garnish with cilantro before serving.
*Leftovers can be refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen